How to Maintain the Quality of Custom Hat Embroidery Design?
Custom hat embroidery is famous in every season and event. Every gender and genre likes to wear hats with high-quality digital embroidery. On preparation, stitching and digitizing embroidery of hats, there are some thoughtful points that must be considered. DigitEMB brings you the Golden Tips & Tricks for High-Quality Custom Hat Embroidery. Learn these rules and make a good profit to your business:
1. Embroidery Machine:
- Routine checkups and preventive maintenance of the machine is necessary.
- The bobbin-case should be perfectly cleaned. Thread build-up around the shaft of bobbin should be removed.
- Plus more, bobbins should be round.
- Remove backlash spring for improved sewing.
- On the cap sash, all screws must be tight.
- When stitching hats, a raised needle plate is used.
2. Hat Hoops & Frames:
- Hat frames are adjustable as these can be loosen as well as tighten on 270-degree frames for holding the hat material tight.
- Hat hoops should be stored with care. Hoops should not be placed over one another. Avoid placing any other items on hat frames during storage.
3. Right Hat Selection:
- Choose such a hat that is well-suited with your embroidery machines in order to match the customers needs.
- Gather samples for hat and de-construct these to fit the curve of visor as per your hat gauge as any gap in centre or sides can result in flagging or stitching issues respectively.
4. Hat Preparation:
- To smooth the hat and flatten any middle seam, a hat heat press is used before its embroidery. It also facilitates the smooth fitting of hat on frame.
- Heat press also removes finish of hat fabric and softens it.
- Needle passes through it without deflection as heat opens the weave.
- In absence of hat heat press, you can also use a steam iron or steamer.
- Change the needles often as needles get dull due to buckram on hats.
- An 80/12 sharp needle can work great for your hat embroidery. A 75/11 or a 70/10 needle also works well for small detailing and lettering on custom hat embroidery design.
- Teflon needle should be preferred as it reduces residue formed by the heat of stitching.
- All guides in the thread path must be threaded well.
- High-quality rayon or polyester thread should be used as these decrease thread breaks and impervious to air, water and salt. Therefore, their strength is also high.
- Backing is hooped with hat. Heavier backing is required in unstructured hats.
- To hold the backing on hat, a light spray of adhesive can be used.
- Additional piece of backing can be used between the hat assembly and the throat plate when problem occurs during stitching.
8. Design Placement:
- To re-locate elements of a logo that are too small to read, the side, back and top of the hat can be used.
- To minimize center-seam disputes and allow a larger size, place the elements of the hat design side-by-side.
- As the start/finish point of a design, the center seam of hat should be used, if possible.
- During hat digitizing, keep in mind that stitching â€œrollsâ€ the hat. To prevent bulging at the visor seam and bubbles under the design, follow inside-out and bottom-up.
- At the beginning of the design, series of small (1mm) stitches are used at the beginning to anchor the thread.
- To improve registration, each letter is outlined while punching. The fills are stitched first and then outline.
- A zigzag of underlay is used to neutralize center-seam hats.
10. Hat Fabric:
- Corduroy, Poplin and Twill are some of the popular fabrics for custom hat embroidery design.
- For a six-panel hat, wool fabric is just perfect that gives the hat an enrich look and also increases the price of it.